Is stem cell injection a possibility for hemorrhagic stroke recovery?

Dannibal asked...

I'm 41 years0old and I was looking for some ideas how to enhance my recovery from a hemorrhagic stroke I had on March 21 2008. If anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears. I was interested in stem cell injection, so I'll take info on that also.

To my knowledge, no one in the US is currently doing stem cell injection for hemorrhagic stroke (or any stroke) recovery at this time. I heard some rumblings of a study out of Stanford University, Dr. Gary Steinberg, being started, but I do not know the status of that at this time. Any work would be at an experimental phase. Depending on how severe your symptoms are, you might consider waiting until the technology is a bit more mature. At this stage, there may be some complications associated with being one of the first test subjects.

Other avenues to consider would be research into scalp stimulation and mirror therapy - both of these might be a bit more commonly studied at university rehabilitation centers in your area. Finally, every once in a while I hear of someone getting great benefit from trying accupuncture therapy for their stroke symptoms. This may be worth your time, and certainly would be low risk.

Yes try scalp acupuncture. After 1 month (3x/wk) of scalp acupuncture, my husband can now walk slowly and partially move his arms. When he left the rehab at 3 months, he still had right side paralysis after a massive hemorrhagic stroke