What are some home treatments for hemoglobin deficiency?

Gauri asked...

Reading your question, I have never heard of a "hemoglobin deficiency". I am wondering if you meant that your hemoglobin was low, and you took that to mean you were "deficient". Hemoglobin is a substance in your red blood cells that carries oxygen around your body. If you are getting a low hemoglobin reading in your labwork, this really means is that you are anemic.

Some of the more common causes of anemia are: 1) Blood loss from injury, surgery, or bleeding (like a stomach ulcer) 2) Vitamin deficiency (as in iron, vitamin B12, folate deficiency) 3) Bone marrow suppression (cancer or medications can do this) 4) Kidney disease 5) Abnormal hemoglobin molecules from sickle cell anemia

To treat anemia, I would first recommend that you find out what caused your anemia. There are lab tests that can be done to rule out vitamin deficiencies, bone marrow problems, or kidney disease. If you are having blood loss, you may need to see a Gastroenterologist for endoscopes of your stomach and colon.

As for your question about "home treatments", the only things that I can think of would be to make sure you are getting enough vitamins and iron in your diet if your anemia is from a vitamin deficiency. Other than that, no home remedy is going to help anemia from blood loss, kidney failure, or bone marrow problems.

Please contact your health care provider to see what your next steps should be for diagnosing your type of anemia. Good luck!