What would be a reasonable bonus to pay a home health care worker who has taken care of an ill parent after that parent has passed away?

Paula asked...

It’s very nice that you’re thinking of giving a bonus to a home health worker. This is a thoughtful gesture of appreciation for someone who’s cared for someone special to you. I don’t think there’s one clear answer to the question of what’s a reasonable bonus. This depends on several factors including your finances and how long the worker was on the job. Remember; “It’s the thought that counts.” You don't need to be extravagant, especially if you can’t afford this. A few things come to mind: You could give one month’s salary (this would be generous); two weeks salary; or a gift certificate to a store or restaurant the worker likes (for whatever amount you can afford).

Another nice gesture is to offer to write a letter of recommendation for the worker, and/or give permission to use you as a reference.

That's a helpful answer except for the fact that there couldnt possibly be just ONE person taking care of someone round the clock seven days a week. In my case, my mom has four different people taking different shifts because of the state medicaid rules. So in my case, what would the answer be. It gets very expensive around Christmas time too, and I try to be as generous as I can. This is a difficult issue at times, especially since 3 out of the 4 have been with us for a very long time and I wish I could give them the world!

Dianat answered...

If the person works through an agency you might contact the agency first to ask if it is okay to give a bonus or gift. Some agencies discourage gifts or tips.

Grandparents answered...

i am a caregiver for a lady that has dementia, also i took care of her husband who died of cancer last month, i do everything for her, i do have aids during the day. i have so much running to do and need to take her to doctor visit so i do nights to cut the cost, i give the aids a card for every special event, on christmas i give a special ornament.i also givea gift card of 25.00 for what ever fits that person. i try to purchase the card at a store that gives fuel credit. that way it helps us all.