How can I eat more fish if I just don't like seafood?

Anton ryan asked...

Everyone today is talking about eating more fish, especially fatty fish like salmon or sardines. What do you do if you just HATE fish/seafood? I take 1200mg of fish oil a day for my arteries, but how else can you balance a diet?

Beth Reardon, M.S., R.D., L.D.N., is Caring.com senior food and nutrition editor and the director of integrative nutrition at Duke Integrative Medicine. As a practitioner of integrative nutrition, Reardon takes a holistic approach to wellness, recognizing that the foundation for optimal health and healing begins with a health-promoting diet. As a practitioner of integrative nutrition, Reardon takes a holistic approach to wellness, recognizing that the foundation for optimal health and healing begins with a health-promoting diet.

I appreciate your dilemma of, on the one hand, recognizing the health benefits of eating more cold water fish "¦ and on the other hand not being particularly fond of your choices! What I like most about your question however, is that you bring it back to the challenge of balancing the diet. It is truly about the balance of fats in the diet. We evolved to eat a diet that was relatively equal in terms of the amount of omega 6 fats (meat, dairy and vegetable oils: corn, soy, sunflower, safflower) and omega 3 fats (cold water fish and marine plants). These fats are the building blocks of our body's immune response. Omega 6 fats are needed for the production of inflammatory hormones while the omega 3 fats are needed for the opposite anti-inflammatory response. Balance is key, and for most Americans is achieved by increasing omega 3 sources while decreasing omega 6 sources. The greater your intake of omega 6 fats,the more omega 3s your body will require for balance. So my suggestion is to check your fat intake, reduce sources of omega 6 fats, and if you are not able to increase your seafood intake try to increase your intake of plant proteins from legumes in place of animal protein. To achieve an adequate omega 3 intake you can take advantage of the health benefits of consuming fish (the omega 3 fats) without having to actually eat it. There is no problem with taking a good quality, pharmaceutical grade, concentrated source of EPA and DHA.