How can I minimize the damage caused to the furniture by my incontinent father?

2 answers | Last updated: Dec 07, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

If my incontinent father refuses to wear diapers, is there a way to protect the bed, the sofa, and his favorite chair?

Expert Answers

Carol Jones is a family consultant for the Mountain Caregiver Resource Center in Siskiyou County, California.

For the bed, you can purchase reusable waterproof mattress pads that have cotton or flannel on one side and vinyl backing on the other to keep the mattress dry. To protect the sofa and chair, look for washable waterproof pads that come in different colors and patterns to complement the upholstery.

If you do an Internet search for incontinence supplies, you should be able to find what you need. You can order products through the mail, purchase them at local drug stores, or find a medical supply store in the yellow pages.

If you'd like to contact an incontinence supply dealer, the National Association for Continence has a hotline to help you find one. And their telephone number is easy to remember: 800-BLADDER (252-3337).

Community Answers

Rellim answered...

There are also disposable pads, I have learned if you are on medicaid they will be paid for, but not on Medicare. But they are very useful, especially in my Dads wheelchair. I use both but when going to the dr.or such the disposables are better, easier to replace and don't have the lingering smell.