Is there financial aid for cataract surgery?

2 answers | Last updated: Nov 18, 2016
Tondeleo asked...

I am 63 and do not yet qualify for Medicare.  I need cataract removal surgery.  Is there any assistance available?

Expert Answers

If you have low income and few assets other than the house you live in, your personal belongings, and your car, you might qualify for the Medicaid program in your state. If you qualify, Medicaid can pay almost the full amount not only for the cataract surgery but also for the glasses you will need after the surgery. The eligibility rules vary somewhat from state to state. To find out what the exact rules are in your state, and to learn where to apply, go online to any search engine and enter the word Medicaid and the name of your state. Or, you can call the Eldercare Locator toll-free at 800-677-1116; they will direct you to your local Medicaid office.

Community Answers

Shadi answered...

Dear sir,

I heard a lot about your assistance to many people, and I saw your achievements while searching on web.

I am shadi from Aida-Camp for refugees- Bethlehem . I had injured in my eye while I was crossing Israeli block to reach my work, I lost my vision in right eye cause of retina detachment and other is 6/12 which leads losing my work , I was working as electronic technician. as you know its very bad economic situation in Palestine .I cant find job as well as cant work in repairing. I cant take my medication because I cant reach Jerusalem which only there is the eye hospital . I don't have permission to enter, as well as its very expensive to do operations and have medication, I don't know what to do I am very tired and feel frustration, because iam only who have to help my family. looking forward to hear from you soon. If you cant support me please advice to whom may I can contact .

If you need any documentation and report I will send them if required.