I need financial help with plumbing bills; is there anyway to get help?

3 answers | Last updated: Nov 16, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

I am a senior citizen on disability income. My home plumbing is constantly causing problems and I can no longer afford the plumbing bills. Is there any assistance for seniors in these situations? I am at my wit's end and am financially exhausted! Please help.

Expert Answers

As Founder and Director of Circles of Care, Ann Cason provides caregiving, consulting, and training services to individuals and public and private organizations involved in eldercare. She is the author of Circles of Care: How to Set Up Quality Home Care for Our Elders.

I am sorry that you are having this trouble.  There may not be any government program to assist you, but you can go to www.benefitscheckup.org and check on their comprehensive data base to see if there is any thing for you.  It will take you 20 or 30 minutes to go through this site, but you have to do it because you are the one with the information.

Your best chance for help may be  to work at the local level .  Can you go in person to tell another the trouble you are having.   Ask for help!

There may be local groups or non profit organizations to help in special ways.  Start with the area agency on aging.   I would call them, tell them your situation and then ask who you could speak with.

Also, I would call your nearest senior center and ask for people or organizations to help.  It seems as if the plumber should stand behind his work so that you don't have to pay over and over.   I can only guess at this, since I don't have all of the information.  

Also, your church may have groups that serve elders.   If you are a member of a church, don't be shy about asking for help.

I can hear your frustration in the way you write.   Somehow, I feel that your need and your clarity, if expressed in person, will bring some help to get this problem resolved.

Community Answers

A fellow caregiver answered...

check with your local and state offices such as Heating Assistannt progrmas sometimes they also provide magor and minor repairs to people who qualify financially there may be deadlines to these programs or even only acvailable occasionaly so keep checking also talk to your adult living facilites they sometimes can give the elderly more information on local programs and maybe sponsering programs themselves. Another area to ask is the electric and water companies about any assisting programs maybe you could qualify for other things that could help free up your money so you can pay for your other repairs a little easier also check with Dept of State Assistance maybe you can also qualify for medicaid medicaire foodstamps energy assistance or more and again this can free up your cash in order to help pay for these other repairs The energy assistance is the one i was thinking of that sometimes helps with magor repairs in the house including windows and doors and new heaters and water heaters sometimes paint and other items as well. In Colorado they contacted persons with disabilities or that were elderly and had a program avail that assisted recipents with painting and lawn fixup and other minor and magor repairs that was thru the local county and city i was able to apply by getting an application from I think the water dept. keep trying and dont give up. Another source that just came to me was your local churches sometimes they assist in different things needed in the community.

Pettijohne answered...

Call the local plumbing union. I'm a member of local 68 and we provide such assistance. Shameless plug http://pettijohne.no-ip.biz