What kind of living arrangements are available for those under 65, but disabled, without a lot of money?

Peanut081981 asked...

I have my inlaws living with my husband and I, and we are trying to get them there own place. They are both disabled, unable to work, and under the age of 65. The only income they have is disability income. What type of living is available for those people like us who can't pay $35,000 a month?

Expert Answer

Nan Hayes is founder of MoveSeniors.com, the national resource network of Certified Relocation and Transition Specialists for seniors, and President of RightSized Living, a senior home transition service in Illinois.

If you have not done so, contact your local resources for information on seniors with disabilities. Your local Area Agency on Aging and your Aging and Disability Resource Centers can provide information about regional housing and assistance programs.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) supports the Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly Program. The program produces about 6,000 units each year. Qualifications include at least one resident over the age of 62, with income below 50% of their area median income. The average income is around $10,000. Section 202 homes often have safety features and are located near support services.

While critics complain of limited availability, much will depend on the area in which you live. Other federally funded programs, such as Section 8, also support older persons. For more information, go to http://www.hud.gov/ and follow your state links.