How can I find financial aid to care for my mother in her home?

How do I find financial aid to care for my mother in her home? My father fell and broke his hip and has since passed away. Mother fell and broke her arm and hip and has dementia. I gave up my job to care for them. Resources are almost depleted.

Unfortunately, there aren't many programs that can help make a dent in the huge cost of caregiving, although you do have some options:

• In some cases, if your mother is on Medicaid, she can designate you or a family member as her personal home care aide and you can get paid a small amount through Medicaid.
  • If you can show that you pay at least half of your mother's yearly expenses, you can claim her as a dependant on your taxes, and reduce your taxable income by $3,300 and claim a range of deductions including a portion of your parent's medical and living expenses.
  • If your father was a veteran, your mother may be eligible for a little known benefit from the VA that helps pay for long term care, including in-home care. This benefit is called the Non-Service Connected Improved Pension. The benefit can pay up to $998 per month for a widow.
  • Also, you can go to benefitscheckup.org to see if there are any local or state grants or programs that may reimburse you for some of the expenses of caregiving.