What should I feed my dad to help him keep weight on?

What kind of meals should I feed my dad to help him during chemotherapy and radiation to keep the little weight he's got and to gain if he can?

Senior Editor Melanie Haiken, who is responsible for Caring.com's coverage of cancer, general health, and family finance, discovered how important it is to provide accurate, targeted, usable health information to people facing difficult decisions.

Many cancer patients have an ongoing struggle with nausea, loss of appetite, and weight loss. It's really hard to see your dad lose weight as he battles cancer. Here are some ways to help your dad prevent and treat  nausea. As far as appetite goes, talk to your father about what appeals to him; he's more likely to eat if it's something he wants. Here are some more ideas to stimulate a cancer patient's appetite. Since you're worried about your dad's weight loss, focus on adding in calorie-rich foods. Milkshakes and smoothies are a great choice if your loved one is having a hard time eating solid food.