How long do Exelon and Risperdal work?

My mom is on the Exelon patch and Risperdal; they have worked wonders for her. Just wanting to know if anyone knows how long this will last, or how long they keep working?

Ladislav Volicer, M.D., Ph.D., is recognized as an international expert on advanced dementia care. He is a courtesy full professor at the School of Aging Studies, University of South Florida, Tampa, and visiting professor at the Third Medical Faculty, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic. Twenty-five years ago, he established one of the first dementia special care units.

I am glad that the medications are helping your mother. However, in a future your mother may be getting worse despite Exelon and that would not mean that the medication is not working, because Exelon does not stop progression of Alzheimer's disease just delays it. Therefore, if your mother gets worse, it would be a mistake to think that Exelon is not working any more and stop it, because that may lead to faster progression.

UPDATE: Hubby, you need to find another doctor. Mirtazepine is a medication to treat depression, not dementia. However, the problem your wife has could be due to other condition than Alzheimer's disease. She needs to be properly examined and diagnosed. There are other medications that could help her if she has Alzheimer's disease.

Hubby answered...

I would appreciate it you could lead me in the right direction. My wife does not rember things.She drives not fare from home.All she does is sit watch tv.She looses thingscant find them.I take her to freightor hspital to the doctor he does nothing.He gave her a precripton for Mirtazapine 15 gm to take one every evening we live in Caledonia Wisconsin.I need some advise on what to do,I have been told she has Alzheimer's I would appreciate your help she is 66years old we are on socurity please help me so I can help he tell me were to go thand you

Regia answered...

Please, check Dr. Amen.