Are egg yolks not recommended for heart and high cholesterol patients?

Beth Reardon, M.S., R.D., L.D.N., is Caring.com senior food and nutrition editor and the director of integrative nutrition at Duke Integrative Medicine. As a practitioner of integrative nutrition, Reardon takes a holistic approach to wellness, recognizing that the foundation for optimal health and healing begins with a health-promoting diet. As a practitioner of integrative nutrition, Reardon takes a holistic approach to wellness, recognizing that the foundation for optimal health and healing begins with a health-promoting diet.

Rest assure that you can have your egg and eat it too. In all likelihood you can have up to 7 eggs per week without worry about its effect on serum cholesterol levels, because it is the diet as a whole in combination with our genetics that determines our overall risk for heart disease.
Eggs are a wonderful source of protein, and the yolk, while high in cholesterol also contains essential nutrients like choline and lutein which are important for preserving our brain and eye health. Egg yolks also contain important vitamins such as vitamins B2, B5, B12 and D. The white part of the egg is an excellent source of protein. I would have you consider using a combination of egg whites and whole eggs in a 2:1 ratio to make an omelet or scramble and choose to cook the eggs in healthy oil. Remember that the risk of heart disease is influenced by our total lifestyle, not simply cholesterol levels. It is a disease that has its root in inflammation and levels of inflammation are affected by our weight, physical activity, the anti-oxidant levels in our diet and the type and amount of fats we consume. Cholesterol in fact requires saturated fat in the diet to be absorbed efficiently. So my advice is to take a look at other sources of cholesterol in the diet, namely animal products that carry a good deal of saturated fat and look to make lower fat substitutions. In addition reduce your overall intake of meats and high fat dairy while increasing your intake of plant proteins (legumes) and seafood.
Keep in mind the big picture and all that contributes to your health over time. Focus on other positive changes that you can make in the diet that will favorably impact serum cholesterol such as: "¢ Increasing your intake of soluble fiber from whole grains such as oatmeal, oat bran and barley. Try to consume 20+ grams/day. "¢ Including more heart healthy fats like olive oil, avocado, walnuts, almonds and brazil nuts "¢ Adding black beans and chick peas to meals and eating "vegetarian" a few times per week. "¢ Enjoying more cold water fatty fish (salmon, black cod, herring sardines) and trying to incorporate ground flaxseed in meals. The egg "¦ in moderation it is incredible and edible.

Mommavroom answered...

We love eggs so I apprecieate knowing that I am not taking a risk every time I use them. I do usually add extra whites and that does cut down on the yokes. So..thank you, I feel much easier now that I know it is the whole of our diets and we do not have to eliminate eggs!

Judee answered...

This is well written and I appreciate that the information is broad and also deep. I like knowing about the specifics in the context of the overall lifestyle behaviors. THANKS for such a thoughtful response and for breaking down the health benefits of the yolk vs. the white. I always use egg whites to supplement fewer whole eggs when making frittatas. I don't bake, so I'm not sure how this substitution would work for baked goods.

Ifeomamark answered...

I share the same view with Beth Readon. "you can have your egg and eat it,"not absenting from taking egg because of cholesterol level, but a little of it will balance the diet. cheers.

Yousuf answered...

Thanks Beth Reardon for such a quick response to my question. Your analysis is detailed and logical. It will help me and others to balance our diet. I think simple and natural food is best if we use with care. Thanks again.

Yousuf answered...

Flashgordon answered...

I am a heart patient with a quad operation and Have an ICD in my chest. I have higher chloestrol. I cook my eggs over easy and than drain most of the yoke to the other end of my plate-- then just eat the whites. Everything is a percentage deal.

Ikram ul haq answered...

my caregivers(cardiologists and neurologists) both suggested that i not eat egg yolks as it is beneficial to reduce all cholestrol sources...since your suggestion includes increasing the proportion of egg whites and not reduce the egg yolk it seems upside down... normal protein sources are widely available in other foods