How long does a UTI take to heal for a 96 year old woman?

Nora clark asked...

My mom is 96 this July and she has a urinary tract infection. She has had it a week now and she is sleeping constantly where we can hardly get her to answer. Is this normal? And how long does it last?

I agree with Sho B's answer. She needs to be evaluated by her health care provider to make sure she is not dehydrated, having problems with her antibiotic or other medications, or having some other problem. She may be so sleepy she is not eating or drinking enough. Many elders who are sick will develop a hypoactive delirium, which can make someone sleep all the time. Last thought I have is that there also may be the possibility that the UTI wasn't really the problem, and that something else is going on. Again, follow up with the health care provider is needed.