Is chronic lymphocetic leukemia (CLL) normally dormant or can it show up unexpectedly?

Barb l asked...

Is CLL a normally dormant type of leukemia or does it tend to spike unexpectedly? My husband was diagnosed two years ago but the cancer doctor says there have been no changes and just to keep an eye on cell count. Should we be comfortable with this?

Dluns4d answered...

I was diagnosed in 2005 with CLL and have been on a regular cell count check since that time.  I am comfortabel with that, but my husband worries!  I have also started some homeopathic therapies since the doctor said he could not do anything until I had symptoms other than the elevated white blood cell count.

Horizonbts answered...

I too was diagnosed with CLL in 2007, and have had treatments of Rituxan since my platelet counts were low-below 10,000. Overall have had 2 rounds of expensive treatments, but since then its a wait and watch thing now. Currently I am 6 months between bloodwork and exams! I believe the best thing I think I am doing for myself is eating healthy and taking supplements that help. Hoping to keep my CLL in a just a wait and watch mode. I just had a recent visit with my hematologist and when he walked in he said everything looks good, well let me rephrase that it looks the same! So guess if it is all the same and not changing for the worse that is a good thing and he stepped up my next visit from 4 to 6 months so that is a good thing too as far as the pocket book.

Just wondering answered...

My father was diagnosed with CLL about 5 years ago. He has not had any difficulties. Just recently, he was diagnosed with lung cancer. At this point we don't know what stage or type. My question is since he now has lung cancer will this cause CLL to become not dormant?