(800) 973-1540

Does Medicare pay for shingles vaccine?

pomdog asked...

Will Medicare pay for the shingles vaccine?

Joseph L. Matthews answered...

No, it won't. In general, Medicare doesn't do a very good job of covering preventive medical care . The only immunizations it covers are a yearly flu shot, the pneumonia vaccine, and the vaccine against hepatitis B (if you are at medium or high risk for contracting the disease).

squirt526 answered...

Yes Medicare Part D does cover the shingles vacccine but there is a co-pay because it is considered a prescription drug. Makes no sense but that is what I was told by my insurance co.

tanger answered...

if you are 65 or older medicare will pay for this vaccination. I am under that age and have several flareups of shingles. This is the diagnosis from my physician.

dukeman407 answered...

The medicare co-pay for the shingles vaccine I paid was $90.00. The total cost for the vaccine was around $190.00. I had the vaccine back in the spring of this year (2013).

don't wait answered...

My vaccine was covered by Medicare and no co-pay was required. My supplemental is Health Care Options. Dr. called to verify & Med said yes. I live in NJ and it's a tough state to get anything.

Mahakavi answered...

Medicare part B does NOT cover shingles vaccination. Part D covers it as a prescription drug (even though it is a preventive vaccine). If your Medicare advantage plan covers part D (drugs) then the shingles vaccine is covered. Your copay may vary from plan to plan. CDC determines the cost of the vaccine including the administration fee is around $190 (2013 price). The copay one has to pay may vary from $60 to 80 to 100. If you have a Medigap (supplemental coverage) policy you may avoid the copay also. Check with your Medigap policy administrator.

eileenb27 answered...

My medicare part D covered the cost of the vaccine, provided I picked it up at the pharmacy and took it to the doctor's office. What wasn't covered was the cost of administering the shot, fortunately only $32. As it was a simple sub-cutaneous injection, If I had known it wasn't covered to administer it, I could have given it to myself. I've had to give myself many injections in previous years while in cancer treatment.

gardenman answered...

I just checked with Medicare.gov (by chatting with a representative) and if all you have is Medicare and a Medicare supplemental policy, (not Part D) - you will have to pay for the vaccine out of pocket.