Does Abilify help treat restless leg syndrome?

The tennesseean asked...

Katy c answered...

Abilify is not prescribed or recommended for Restless Leg Syndrome. In fact, many patients who have taken Abilify have complained of symptoms like, or related to, restless legs. Many patients reported that the restless legs began within a few nights of taking the medications. They pointed out that despite the drowsiness involved with taking the medication, the were unable to sleep because of the restless legs. They also reported the constant moving of legs jarred them awake once they did fall asleep, and caused an ache in the muscle or joints. There are several drugs on the market that are recommended for restlessly syndrome but many suffers claimed they made their symptoms worse or did not work at all. Many researchers have pointed out that restless leg is a symptom, not a disorder of its own. An underlying physical or psychological problem causes the restless legs. Since many researchers, and patients, believe that drugs like Abilify intensify the restless leg, experts say this point to the fact that chemical, emotional, or physical issues cause the disorder. To treat restless leg, they believe, you have to treat the cause, not the symptom.

Jodilynn answered...

I have tried multiple times to get off of Abilify. Every time I do, I have horrible restless legs. This last time, I spent over 6 months weaning down (from only 5mg) and stopping Abilify. I ended up having to take Requip, Ativan and Lortab to get relief. Finally, I went back on the Abilify and my restless legs went away. I'm being referred to a neurologist to get to the bottom of it as my blood work is all normal. I don't know if the Abilify caused a permanent akathisia type disorder or if I have restless leg syndrome and it's being helped by the Abilify. So, I don't think we know a lot about these drugs and their true side effects. I would love to figure out what is going on with me. I am an otherwise healthy 33 year old female.

My reply answered...

I have severe restless legs and have tried many different ways to prevent it, both natural and with medication. Requip & Mirapex allowed me to get a good night sleep. However, because of drowsiness, I could only take in at night.

I had little hope of Abilify making a difference. But with restless legs, you will try anything. Wow, was I surprised! I have been on Abilify for two weeks now. For the first time in over 15 years, I can sleep at night, sit in a car, go to a movie, ride in a plane, and take a cat-nap and even sit down to watch evening TV with my husband. Yesterday at church, I took NO medicine and sat through the whole service, that's right, I actually "SAT" instead of walking or standing in the back.

I take half of a 15 mg tablet, once a day. That's it! No other meds needed to control my legs both day and night! I have not seen any side affects other than the stillness of my legs. It does not even make me drowsy.

I hope Abilify continues to keep my legs still. If you live with Restless Legs, you may want to ask God if Abililfy could be your answer also.

Sfsadfsaffsd answered...

It gives me something stronger than restless legs syndrome. I think it's akathesia.

Cricketlegs answered...

I get RLS every time I try to stop abilify, but I didn't have RLS before that. Abilify has not helped my depression, but I'm stuck taking it anyway due to the RLS. Would love to hear some remedies!