Can pain in my ear be worsened with my diabetes?

Lawanna asked...

I have Type 2 Diabetes, and I have pain in my ear. I am wondering if having diabetes can make this pain be more harmful to me than if not?

Karen Earle, M.D. is medical director of Diabetes Services at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco.

Of course, ear pain should be evaluated by a doctor, whether or not you have diabetes.  There are many possible causes of ear pain such as an ear infection, trauma to the ear, a foreign body in the ear, or a condition known as swimmer's ear, an infection of the outer ear and ear canal, characterized by pain, itchiness, and a feeling of stuffiness in the ear. Diabetes won't make ear pain more harmful, but not getting your ear evaluated in a timely manner could be harmful.

Diabetes is a disease that can affect many different parts of the body, including the ear.  Patients with diabetes are particularly prone to infections, including infections of the ear.  Pain and swelling in the ear could indicate such an infection, which can be treated with ear drops and/or antibiotics.

In addition, people with diabetes may have problems with hearing loss.  If you are also experiencing hearing loss, you should have your hearing tested when you visit your doctor. Read this blog post to learn more about diabetes and hearing loss.

Kumita answered...

there seems to be adisaggrement amongst MD 's with your respone

Nonamegranny answered...

I have an external Ear infection now 3/22/11. I had to go to the E.R. My EAR on the out side was bothering me when I woke up,it was really red and swollen.I waited 1 day and then had to go it keep me awake. Kept hurting . Dr. Said that I could be bad for my Cartilage if it got into it. Need to watch out when you have Diabeties.I have Diabetes #2.I have POLYPERREFIAL SYMIMOTOR NUEROPOTHY AND MY FEET BOTHER ME ON A DAILY 24 HR. BASIS SEE DR.FOR PAIN MEDS.ITS HARD FOR ME TO WALK AND I USE A CANE. I AM ONLY 58 AND HAVE HAD IT FOR 13 MO.Keep your feet well softened for not to crack,if you have no sweeting problem,or don't like shoes to help keep feet soft.God Bless everyone .Have a nice day.

Still believe answered...

Well for me garlic in the early helps relive ear pain. It kills bacteria in the ear and helps cleanse the ear.