How long can a diabetic live with alcoholism and drug addiction?

Loonymoon asked...

My husband is a diabetic,with alcohol cirrhosis, Hepatitis D and a crystal meth abuser. His diabetes is out of control, his a1C is up and down. He had a GI bleed 5 years ago and was told he had to quit drinking, yet still continues too and abuse drugs daily. We have been separated now for almost 3 years and he still refuses to get help. He is 60 years old. How long can someone with his health problems continue without serious side effects?

Theresa Garnero is clinical nurse manager of Diabetes Services at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco.

As a nurse, it is not in my realm of expertise to predict health outcomes. His doctor would be best equipped to respond. That said, with the number of significant issues facing your husband, I would think that the timeline is short before he experiences a serious health consequence. For some people, that's what triggers an interest in self-care. He has to be ready to make a change.

He currently continues to use drugs and alcohol, and refuses help. That is a huge strain on those in his family circle. The best you can do is take care of yourself. Have you considered seeking professional counseling from a local recovery program for families of addicts? Alternatively, an Al-Anon meeting may be useful (specializes in the effects alcoholism has on the family) as well as a Narcotics Anonymous meeting. It is difficult, but time well spent. You can take action "” if you haven't already "” rather than wait the other shoe to drop.

Newby1961 answered...

I am a recovering addict,I have been clean a little over 6 years and I really agree with what I read in the other answer. Sometimes the people who love us the most need just as much help, cause although the addict is busy getting loaded and not feeling a thing, our loved ones feel it all. It helps to get support and answers from people who have been there and are still living through it. I have heard stories of family members that go get help and then the addict follows suit. Praying helps, but to be honest right now its going to take a little more than praying, it needs to be followed up by some action and some pretty tough love on your part. I couldn't stop till I exhausted every avenue that was left. Sometimes the people who love us end up hurting the addict worse because we know how to manipulate them. If you are scared to go to a meeting try going online and contacting Al Anon I know they have AA & NA meetings online. Whatever you do don't give up hope, there is always hope for the addict if they are still breathing! Peace be with you & your family.

I MYSELF AN ON SOME HARD-CORE PAIN KILLERS. HAVE BEEN ON OXCIOTIN 80MG, 3 TIMES DAILYMM AND ALL THEY DO FOR ME, IS TAKE THE EDGE OFF YHE PAIN... ALSO, AN ON 670-10mg PERCOSET, 4 TIMES DAILY! ALSO, DOESN'T HELP. GOING IN FOR TOTAL BACK REPLACEMENT, EVERY BONE FROM NECK DOWN WILL HAVE A ROD AND SCREWS PLACED IN IT. THIS SURGERY TAKES AAT LEAST 16-18 HOURS!! I'M VERY SCAREDTO DO THIS. BACK IN MARCH OF THIS YEAR 2010, THIS SURGERY WAS ELECTIVE,, NOW MANDATORY BECAUSE OF SEVERE SCOLOITIS. I'LL BE IN THERE 4-5 MONTHS, AND IN ICU FOR A MONTH OR MORE IN A MEDICALILEY-INDUCED COMA...I KNOW WHAT PAIN IS!!!! CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE HOW MUCH PAIN I' LL BE IN AFTER I WAKE UP AND THEY TRY YO MAKE ME WALK, SIT-UP, ETC. THEN OFF TO REHAB. FOR AN UNDERTERMIND TIME... SO THOSE OF YOU WHO DON'T THINK PEOPLE NEED THESE STRONG PAIN MEDS., THINK AGAIN!!!I HAVE ALL I CAN DO TO WALK NOW, NEVER MIND AFTER SURGERY!!!! MY FAMILY IS NOT SUPPORTING ME AT ALL, AND PROBABLY WON'T COME TO VISIT ME!!! THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT I WANTED FOR MY SELF TO HAVE TO GO THRU, BUT THE SCOLOITIS HAS GOTTEN 85$ WOTSE IN 2 YEARS!!!MY BACK BONE (SPINE), IS TOUCHING MY RIGHT SIDE OF MY BODY, WHILE CRUSHING MY LUNGS BY MY RIB CAGE. ALSO,,, ALL MY ORGANS IN THE FRONT OF THE BODY, HAVE ALL BEEN SHIFTED TO THE RIGHT OF MY BODY, BECAUSE OF MY SEVERE BENDING TO THE LEFT....!! PLEASE SOMEONE PRAY FOR ME,, I'M SURELY GOING TO NEED IT..!!! THERE IS MORE, BUT TOO LONG TO WRITE, BECAUSE I HAVE HAD 26 SURGERY'S ON MY RT. ELBOW, SINCE 2004,,, BUTTHEY SAVED IT!!!!NOT MUCH USE IN IT,, BUT STILL OWN IT!!!!

THANKS FOR LISTENING---------MIMI3

Nilqnsp answered...

As a mother of a diabetic who seems to be killing herself with some form of cocain,sources sa. I am terrified ! I asked her if she had gotten herself addicted to something,and she denied it. I told her she could tell me anything ,nothing ever could make me love her less! Now she is sleeping and,hasn't eaten or checked her blood sugar.All she does when she comes here ,is and sleep.She cries in pain ,at night, has pawned everything she owns,left her husband , and has nowhere to live.She has lost so much weight ,she looks like a skeleton! She can not go on like this for long! And I don't know how to convince her to get help! I don't want to bury my child! Thankyou newby1961, for your comments and advice ,God Bless You!

And MIMI3 , you are in my prayers! TY,Stephanie

Colejoyner answered...

Well he has serious diabetic issue along with the habit of drug addiction. It will be difficult to tell you how long he is going to survive in this condition. On this age he should take proper treatment to overcome this problem. You should force him and take to any drug rehab center. They will examine the root cause of his problem and give the effective treatment to get back in normal condition. However before taking any step you should take opinion of some good doctors too.