How do you go about declaring parent incompetent?

I'm assuming you're asking because you want some document or device, such as a power of attorney, advance directive for healthcare or conservatorship giving another person legal power to deal with your parent’s care or finances or both.

In all such cases, state laws require that the decision must be made in writing by one or two doctors or other healthcare professionals. This legal requirement sometimes seems a little offbase, since a doctor may have no idea whether your parent is equipped to deal with making financial decisions. But it's almost always done that way.

If you are convinced that one of your parents has become incompetent, you may want to gather some tangible evidence, such as long unpaid bills or documentation of dangerous living conditions, to help convince his or her attending or primary physician that some type of legal supervision is needed.

my immediate concern is to make sure I can get medicare insurance updated for 2010 and social security has a correct address change with advanced directive. my mom can no longer take care of herself at all.