What causes darkened fingertips?

My fingertips are very dark with more pigment. There aren't any signs of rashes or any other problem. They just look very odd. Is there a solution?

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH, is a board-certified dermatologist specializing in medical, cosmetic, and surgical dermatology, including Mohs micrographic skin cancer surgery. In addition to her work in private practice, Krant is assistant clinical professor of dermatology at SUNY Downstate Medical Center.

Dark pigment in the fingertips can be caused by many conditions ranging from expected side effects of some chemotherapy medications, to problems with blood flow in the fingertips, to harmless external causes. Without more information like how long this took to develop, what color the darkening is, what medications you may take, or about your health background, it is too difficult to tell what might have happened. Darkened fingertips and dark fingernails can be caused by different things, as well.

I would recommend you see a dermatologist in person who can better gather your history and see your fingers herself. If you would like to submit more information here, I would be glad to answer further to the best of my ability.

Hi Jessica. This is Harleen I am also facing the same problem. I have darkened skin where my nail starts. It is dark black for 5 mm width. My parents told me i am having this since my birth. I am feeling so uncomfortable that i can't flaunt my fingers even for pointing something. If you can help me with this i would appreciate that. I have never taken any treatments and no severe problems other than having thin hair also since from birth.