What could dark fingertips on my mother's hands mean?

My mother has dark fingertips on her hands - why?

I am not sure what you mean by "turning dark".  Do you mean that they are dusky (bluish)?  This could mean there is an issue with her circulation.  Or do you mean that the skin is darker (more pigmented)?  Sometimes medications, changes as we age, or sun exposure can do this.  There is no mention of a rash or other symptoms, such as itching or pain, in your question.  If you are really concerned, you can have it checked out by a dermatologist.

Iluvmykimi answered...

Myself and my daughter both have fingertips that are slightly darker than the rest of our fingers/hands, almost like fingers of people who smoke, except it's on all 10 fingers. As far as I know, we are both in perfect health, which leads me to believe that this could be a hereditary trait.