Could eyedrops for Glaucoma increase dementia risk?

My mother is on eye drops for glaucoma, a family problem, the effects are loss of taste and smell. Both of these functions are located in the same area of the brain as short-term memory. Could these drops increase the risk of dementia/Alzheimer's in a person?

Faraway sharon answered...

I HAD EYEDROPS FOR GLAUCOMA AND SINCE THEN I'VE DEVELOPED DEMENTIA!!WHO WOULD THINK THEY WUTLD HAVE THAT EFFECT!! S.CLARK

Matthewsnana answered...

no I don't think the eye drops caused the dementia. My father and brother both have been diagnosed with glaucoma and use eye drops twice a day. My father was diagnosed with this disease when he was 42, same as my brother. Today, my dad is 85, my brother 52. My dad is sharp as a tack as well as my brother. I fully believe that dementia is like any other disease, if you have a family history of early set dementia, then more than likely, you will also.