Could eyedrops for Glaucoma increase dementia risk?

My mother is on eye drops for glaucoma, a family problem, the effects are loss of taste and smell. Both of these functions are located in the same area of the brain as short-term memory. Could these drops increase the risk of dementia/Alzheimer's in a person?

Faraway sharon answered...

I HAD EYEDROPS FOR GLAUCOMA AND SINCE THEN I'VE DEVELOPED DEMENTIA!!WHO WOULD THINK THEY WUTLD HAVE THAT EFFECT!! S.CLARK

Matthewsnana answered...

no I don't think the eye drops caused the dementia. My father and brother both have been diagnosed with glaucoma and use eye drops twice a day. My father was diagnosed with this disease when he was 42, same as my brother. Today, my dad is 85, my brother 52. My dad is sharp as a tack as well as my brother. I fully believe that dementia is like any other disease, if you have a family history of early set dementia, then more than likely, you will also.

Tgd answered...

After using glaucoma drops for a while I noticed that I was having a hard time remembering words and feeling confused. I stopped the drops for a month and my memory and confusion cleared. I'm now on them again after a severe scolding from my doctor and my confusion and memory problems are back. You can Google your medication and memory loss and fine that all these drops contribute to memory loss, especially in older patients.