Do congestive heart failure and nausea mean the end is near?

Bretay asked...

My father has end stage congestive heart failure and nausea. He has less than 43% circulation in 1 leg and arterial ulcers on the other. He has been extremely tired and nauseated the pst couple of days. We know he is giving up. But the congestive heart failure nausea and tiredness, is that sign that the end is near or what do we need to watch for?

James Frank is Assistant Professor of Medicine and Director of the Medical Intensive Care Unit at the V.A. Medical Center in San Francisco.

The nausea could be very concerning, but then again it might not be related to your father's heart failure at all. Fatigue and tiredness are typically symptoms of very severe heart failure, but they don't necessarily mean the end is near. Still, I'd recommend that your father be evaluated by his doctor, to see if other medications might help.