What are the signs of colon cancer?

Mema08 asked...

What are the signs of colon cancer?

Rn4601 answered...

Colan cancer is usually detected when a person has a colonscopy and polyps are removed and tested. There are very few early signs of the cancer if any. Unusal bleeding from rectum during bowel movements can be one, but this can also be from hemmroids. As the cancer progresses you can have severe abdomial pain and mayby a blockage ( can't pass stool or pass only liquid). Everyone should have a colonscopy before age 50. If you have any abnornal pain or are just worried, see your doctor.

Happyface369 answered...

My mother had colon cancer that went into her lymphnodes.  Ironically, the symptom that sent her to the doctors was a little bit of shortness of  breath on exertion.  What happened was that she had been bleeding on the inside and the blood loss is what had caused her shortness of breath.  By the time it was discovered, she was so difficient in blood that she needed a transfusion and according to the doctor, "lucky to be standing."  Later we put all the pieces together and realized that her ribbon like or "jagged edged" stools were another sign, as was her itching.  Itching is a sign of anemia which she had due to the loss of blood.  It is often an overlooked symptom.

Teegee answered...

In my case, I was experiencing shortness of breath and general weakness when my doctor sent me for blood work and my hemoglobin was low. I was sent for a colonoscopy, (my second in two years) which returned negative. For almost two years, the weakness and shortness of breath escalated and progressive diarrhea continued until the doctor sent me for gallbladder studies, which showed stones. Gallbladder removed, symptoms remained. Three months post-op, my hemoglobin was at 7.2 - a critical situation - and I was immediately admitted to the hospital for transfusions and testing, which included another colonoscopy. A very large malignant tumor was discovered in my ascending colon. The tumor, along with 30% of my colon, was removed and I underwent chemotherapy for six months. I'm three months out of chemo and living once again in my own home. I am convinced that the tumor was missed on the prior colonoscopy, although three doctors reviewed the films and deny it was visible at the time. In any event, despite doing what seemed like the prudent thing, I still developed cancer, so there are no guarantees. Ever.

Tina wallace answered...

My husband, Glen, had no signs or symptoms.Worked every day.Very handsome and looked like a bill of health. He had finally gained up to 198 pounds and for a 6" tall man he didn't look thin anymore. After he was involved in a rear end collision he began having stomach trouble. The Dr's thought his symptoms were colitis, that could have been caused from the accident. Months later he was admitted for pneumonia and was having another "episode" of colitis and an ultrasound was performed on his stomach and the technician accidentally scanned over his liver. This resulted in the discovery of a mass. He had a biopsy and the result showed Adenocarcinoma cancer. He was later given a colonoscopy which revealed a cancerous tumer in the Sigmoid Colon. He had a colon resection and recovered nicely. With research and guidance for the Lord we decided to go to Louisville, Ky. for treatment. The Dr's at the James Graham Brown Cancer Center were absolutely wonderful. Glen was given a liver resection and inside his liver was installed a pump that would deliver chemo directly to the liver. This was very successful because it deliverd the chemo directly to the liver. Each time he was given a PET scan it showed shrinkage or even less tumors than the previous one. When all the tumors were gone he was given a pill form of chemo...two weeks on two weeks off for three months. Again another PET scan showed no new tumors. He then stopped the pills and life went on as normal. He worked and felt fine. Looked great!!! Afer 12 weeks we went for another PET scan and, as the Dr. stated "It looks like it has come back and exploded." It was on the ouside of his colon, kidney, liver, stomach.......... Needless to say we were devistated. Glen went through more chemo and never responed as well as before. He eventually lost his battle at the age of 39 years old. We truly believe that if he had continued taking those pills it would have held it off. If you or a loved one are in a similar situation with taking these pills, I urge you not to quit. To us it was a matter of life and death and we were nieve enough to think that it wouldn't come back. Please don't make the same mistake we did. My 11 year old son and I have lived the past two years without his dad and my wonderful husband. I pray for cure!

Dee c answered...

I would like to send my condolences to Tina and her son. I lost the love of my life almost exactly the same way in which she lost her husband. My guy was well too, he looked liked the picture of health, he was told "the cancer was gone." But, after 3 months (12 weeks) of choosing not to be on chemo for a disease that was "gone," it "came back with a vengeance" according to the oncologist--to his body as well as to his brain in form of 9 brain tumors. But, the problem was not that he went off chemo. The problem was in thinking that chemo could kill the cancer. The cancer had never gone away. Cancer is a systemic disease--there is a problem with the cells, and it takes a life style change (and more) to change the response of the body to the disease. Chemotherapy and radiation do not cure cancer that has spread, even though we are made to think they can. They are only meant to "hold cancer off," but they only make the body sicker and less able to fight off the disease on its own. In a shorter amount of time (than the body could do on its own), the toxins from these treatments and prescription medications are what do the body in. There are many enlightening books on the subject of how to actually beat cancer, one is by a doctor who beat his brain cancer--it is called The Anti-Cancer. No one should feel like it was a choice they made that cost them their loved one. The system is not set up for the patient to win. It is lack of education and awareness about cancer treatment in this country that is the problem, and that is all about money. The advertisers are the drug companies, medical companies, and insurance companies who control the media and keep information away from the public. I am sorry for your loss, Tina, and for the loss to your son. But, it was not your naivete that was responsible for your loss. It was a lack of awareness that did not give him his best shot--and that was not your fault.

Infome answered...

I agree with Dcee. Seen so many people go thro the op/chemo scenerio only to die. Also quality of life after op/chemo is lost in some cases been told it was not worth it. there is a saying that once the knife touches it it does explode. I recall my 91 year old grandmother living with her cancer for a decade, untouched. Of course not all cancers are the same. Feel we should hear more about people who have survived and what type they had.

Adjunct prof.rosellfernandez answered...

My answer is that DCee is CORRECT...she is trying to tell you something.

Yvonne crump answered...

For those who discover colon cancer in the early stages it can be completely cured! My husband did a sensible trick, laid toilet paper over the water in the bowl and examined his faeces which were very bloody. Immediate surgery removed the offending cancer with the piece of bowel. Was told no further treatment required. Follow up colonoscopys two years later showed another growth on the transverse colon which was handled the same. NOT THROUGH THE WALL of the bowel. Once again no further treatment required. This was 11 years ago! and all healthy.