Can a chiropractor help with post-stroke symptoms?

Dannibal asked...

I had a hemorrhagic stroke on March 21st 2008. I didn't take care of my blood pressure and it got out of control. Can a chiropractor help with the partial paralysis due to the Stroke?

I have not had success with chiropractors for post-stroke recovery. I have had some success sending my patients to an accupuncturist, however.

If you think that the standard physical and occupational therapy is not giving you all the recovery you would like, and are interested in trying other avenues, I would recommend accupunture. I have had several patients tell me that the accupuncture helped "wake up" the nerves that were not working properly.

For the most part, I only recommend chiropractors for lower back pain that is not responding to other therapies. I also avoid having my patients see chiropractors for any neck manipulation, as I am a fairly strong believer that when a neck manipulation is performed, it can tear an artery and lead to a stroke.