How soon after a biopsy should another PSA test be taken to check levels?

Two years go I had biopsy from my prostate to check for cancer. The doctor took 14 biopsies. I did not have cancer according to these tests. I really learned new meaning of the word invasive. I really freaked out when I saw blood in my urine even though I was told to expect it. Worse that that I freaked even more when I saw blood in my sperm. The doctor told me that you may even see some blood 6 months after the procedure. I did not want to go through that again. My question is how soon after should another PSA test be taken to check levels and would levels be higher because of the biopsies ? What kind of readings should I expect after the biopsy procedure ?

Harvey Gilbert, MD, is a radiation oncologist with more than 35 years of professional experience in the medical field, working with cancer patients. He has edited 14 medical textbooks and coauthored 40 papers in the field of oncology. Dr. Gilbert is the medical director of the Ben Schaffer Cancer Institute in Lodi, California.

tHE FREQUENCY OF 'checking psa level after biopsy' VARIES FROM CENTER TO CENTER. THE FIRST QUESTION RELATES TO THE INITIAL LEVEL OF PSA, THE PERCENT OF FREE PSA, THE DOUBLING TIME OF PSA AND THE RESULT OF THE INITIAL BIOPSY. IF THE BIOPSY WAS NEGATIVE AND THE RISK FACTORS FOR PROSTATE CANCER IS HIGH, THAN MORE FREQUENT PSA IS INDICATED. IF THE RISK OF PROSTATE CANCER IS LOW AND THE BIOPSY WAS NEGATIVE THAN YEARLY IS ADEQUATE. AGAIN, THERE ARE A LOT OF DECISION BASED ON EACH INDIVIDUAL'S SITUATION, AND A SPECIFIC ANSWER IS NOT POSSIBLE UNTIL MORE IS KNOWN ABOUT THE INDIVIDUAL CASE.