(800) 973-1540

What are the chances of another stroke?

5 answers | Last updated: Feb 21, 2015
A year ago, when I was 30, I had a significant stroke. I had no significant symptoms, and recovered rapidly from the event. I've been to multiple specialists, and none of them can determine why I had a stroke (ischemic). I am not on any mediations, besides a baby asprain a day. What are the chances of a second stroke, and what can I do to prevent another stroke from happening?

Answers
Caring.com User - James Castle, M.D.

The chances of having a second stroke depend a great deal on what caused the initial stroke. In someone your age, the usual causes of stroke are 1) a tear See also:
Why are my father's abilities improving and then regressing since his stroke?

See all 539 questions about Stroke
in the artery, 2) an inborn problem with the arteries, 3) inborn heart disease - such as a hole in the heart, or 4) a clotting disorder.

I would make sure you see a stroke specialist. Seeing a general Neurologist may not be sufficient. A stroke specialist may have additional ideas and testing that was not considered.

That said, a fairly large number of people with stroke at a young age do not have an identifiable cause. Luckily, this group has a relatively low recurrence risk. It is the patients WITH an identifiable cause that are the most troubling, because they are more likely to have a recurrence. I cannot quote you an exact figure, but if you have been thoroughly examined (by a stroke physician) and no underlying cause has been found, you should have a very low recurrence risk.

TanyaM answered...

I am 36 and recently had a stroke. I am, well was perfectly healthy. I dont have answers to all of my questions, I just want to know why. My neurologist seems not to have answers. What do I think and what do I do?

stevekier answered...

I was 36 and had a major stroke due to a tear in my artery, that caused a clot that went to my brain and made me have a stroke, I went through rehabilition I was paralyzed on my left side,with some hard work and daily exercise it seems to be getting better

Marly26 answered...

Even though you are of a young age it is best that you be seen by a Heart Specialist. They at least can run some tests' i.e.Blood Work, MRI, as well as seeing a Neurologist. If you are unsure of why the stroke happened and no reasons really were given, why are you on the baby aspirin now. I know it is a precautionary measure however its best to get to the root of the cause. It could have been a small clot that may have caused your stroke to begin with. Is there family members' such as Mother or Father that have any Heart Condition. You are such a young age however this can happen to anyone, you are definetly not alone. Please do get checked via a Neurologist and if he deems necessary he will then send you to a Cardiologist. You didn't mention any medications that you may be taking, if you are. These are all things that both Neurologist/Cardiologist will check into. You can never be to careful.