(800) 973-1540

How do I report caregiver fraud?

1 answer | Last updated: Mar 08, 2015
karyl68 asked...

I know of a person that is getting paid to care for her father at her home. For a short time the father was at her her home but no longer is. When it is time for the nurse to come by she has asked that they call her ahead of time to give her time to go get her father. I believe this is fraud. What can I do?


Caring.com User - Carolyn  L.  Rosenblatt
Caring.com Expert
Send a Hug or Prayer
Carolyn Rosenblatt, R.N. and Attorney is the author of author of The Boomer's Guide to Aging Parents. She has over 40 years of...
3% helpful
Carolyn L. Rosenblatt answered...

You raise the question of possible caregiver fraud. The answer to what you can do about it depends on who is paying for the care. If it is the state See also:
Beware: Scammers Are Targeting Grandparents
or county in which you live, you can contact the adult protective services, or its equivalent in your county and say that you wish to report what appears to be fraud. You need specific information to make any such report: when you last saw the caregiver living or being apart from the elder and what her father does when she is not with him. Dates and times are helpful.

A word of caution: you may not have all the facts about the arrangement. Getting paid for care does not always mean that the caregiver needs to live with the elder. Some programs allow a specific number of paid hours per week for a caregiver. On the other hand, your suspicions may be entirely correct. It is worth reporting your suspicions to the appropriate entity so that an investigation can begin.