Can you take both Flomax and Hytrin?

Farmer3 asked...

I have both an enlarged prostate and moderately high blood pressure. The Hytrin doesn´t work as well in increasing my urine flow as I would like. But it keeps my blood pressure under control.

Askdrsi answered...

Treating multiple health conditions with multiple medications can be complicated but I will respond to your question as best I can in the limited amount of space we have. I don't know the details of your situation but it appears that Hytrin is a reasonable choice for you since it has FDA approval to treat the symptoms of an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hypertrophy) and to treat high blood pressure. The drug works by relaxing smooth muscle in the prostate and bladder, thus increasing urine flow. It also relaxes the smooth muscle that surrounds blood vessels, thus lowering blood pressure. The more medicines a person takes, the greater the chance of side effects or drug interactions so taking one drug to treat two conditions may have advantages over therapy with numerous medicines. However, I understand that while your blood pressure is under control you are not satisfied with Hytrin's ability to increase your urine flow and you are looking for other options. Before we consider adding another medicine let's explore your Hytrin first. How long have you been taking Hytrin? It may take 4 to 6 weeks for it to help improve your urine flow so if you have recently started the therapy you may experience better flow as the drug has had sufficient time to work. What dosage are you taking? Usually the starting dose of Hytrin is 1 mg. per day with gradual increases in dose as the doctor has had the chance to evaluate the benefit and possible side effects. If the patient is tolerating the initial dose it can be increased to 2, 5 or 10 mg. per day, depending on how well it is working and depending on possible side effects. Some people may benefit from a 20 mg. daily dose, possibly taken as 10 mg twice a day. So, if you are taking a low dose I suggest speaking with your doctor about the possibility of increasing the dose. This should only be done if you are not experiencing unacceptable side effects such as dizziness, light headedness or fainting due to excessive lowering of your blood pressure or other intolerable side effects. If the attempts to maximize the benefits of Hytrin don't work, then the addition of another medication could be considered. There are probably better options than adding Flomax. Both of these medicines are "alpha-blockers" and have similar mechanisms of action which could result in excessive lowering of your blood pressure. Another option that is commonly prescribed is the addition of a medicine that reduces the size of the prostate such as Proscar or Avodart. With the combination of one of these medicines and an alpha blocker such as Hytrin or Flomax, there would two different types of medicines treating the urinary symptoms. Still another option would be for your doctor to switch you from the Hytrin to Flomax to treat your urinary symptoms. The rationale for that is that Flomax might be less likely to cause adverse symptoms from excessively low blood pressure. Of course if this switch was made it would be necessary to treat your blood pressure with one or more different medicines since Flomax is not a treatment for high blood pressure. In closing, I'd like to emphasize that my comments are general and are not meant to serve as specific medical advice or specific recommendations since I don't know the details of your situation. Nor are they meant to serves as a detailed review of the medications mentioned. Any changes in your drug therapy should only be made by your physician and only with close monitoring for beneficial effects and possible side effects. You can see that combining medications can be tricky but the good news is that there are drug therapy options that should be able to bring you relief without resorting to surgery.

Stay Connected With Caring.com