Can you get Nasonex over the counter?

Robgalv asked...

Can you get Nasonex over the counter?

Allan t answered...

Nasonex cannot be purchased Over the Counter (OTC), that is, without a prescription. The active ingredient in Nasonex, mometasone furoate, belongs to a category of drugs called corticosteroids. Corticosteroids are used for a wide variety of conditions ranging from arthritis to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and they come in many different dosage forms. Because these drugs work by acting on the immune system, there is always an associated risk of negative immunological side effects, especially with patients who have a decreased ability to fight infections as a result of another condition. Therefore, it is important for physicians to evaluate patients on a case by case basis in order to determine whether they are good candidates for corticosteroids. Additionally, nasal sprays such as Nasonex require specific usage instructions that are best described by physicians to their patients in person. These are some of the primary reasons that Nasonex is only available by prescription. Sources: NIH, drugs.com, Drug Information Handbook (15th Edition, 2007-2008), personal experience as a certified pharmacy technician.

Dripping nose answered...

I have recently heard that the manufacturer has discontinued Nasonex. Does anyone know if this is true?

Kkinaz answered...

Just chatter so far, CVS Rx counter says they can't get it, because it is going to be over the counter soon. This was echoed by an assistant in the allergists office. Walgreen's has it on back order.... not sure if it will come in. Curious to know what it will cont $$ OTC vs. Rx cost ??

Nice kilt laddie answered...

Flonase is also a corticosteroid. It is available OTC. I always preferred Nasonex, always thought using Flonase was like spraying air freshener up my nose. Here is a twelve year old side-by-side comparison chart. http://www.rxfiles.ca/rxfiles/uploads/documents/otc-topical-nasal-steroids.pdf From what I remember (I am an RN), there was a push to "recommend" Flonase- but not Nasonex. I never did any investigating about why this was so, but in my experience- it always comes down to moolah.