Can urinary incontinence be caused by hypothyroidism?

Strongisland60 asked...

E neira answered...

I researched on WebMD and Google and was unable to find a connection between hypothyroidism and urinary incontinence. Both sites came up with zero answers to the question given. I also looked into different medications that could cause urinary incontinence, and none listed on WebMD were for hypothyroidism. It seems that the main cause of urinary incontinence is age related. Stress on the muscles that control the bladder and the ability to control your bladder increase with age. Some other causes of urinary incontinence are chronic diseases like diabetes, complications from surgery, Parkinson's disease and many other. None of the causes listed were in any way related to hypothyroidism.

As far as I can tell hypothyroidism doesn't seem to be related to urinary incontinence, however, hyperthyroidism does. So if you are on levoxyl or levothyroxine for hypothyrodism, I would talk to the endocrinologist about it and to check your levels because it is quite possible that you your dosage is too high and could have caused you to become hyperthyroid. My daughter is hypo and has to go every few months to check her levels because they can go out of whack and dosage has to be changed sometimes.

I started a new thyroid med a few months ago. I instantly had severe reflux as a side effect. Also noticed that once was just minor stress incontinence started worsening. Now I am dealing with what I think are bladder spasms and bordering on incontinence. I have a suspicion that the cytomax? or cytomel? is causing sphincter issues. I have a call into the doctor, but all indicators point that way.

Hypothyro answered...

There is an affirmative answer on this very site (which is how I found you!)

3. Possible bladder message: Hypothyroidism

What it is: Untreated hypothyroidism -- slow functioning of the thyroid gland, which helps regulate metabolism -- can also cause problems in the way that nerve signals reach muscles, says urogynecologist Jill Rabin. Women are affected more often than men.

What you may notice: Urge incontinence, or the need to "go," whether there's an actual need or not. This is usually a secondary symptom of hypothyroidism, the primary symptoms being extreme fatigue, a sense of being cold, weight gain, dry skin, and sometimes hair falling out."

https://www.caring.com/articles/more-things-your-bladder-says-about-your-health

Lbenz66 answered...

My daughter was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism 8 months ago and has had many bladder problems including incontinence and she 19. She will be seeing a Urologist in a few weeks for some answers but it all started around the same time.

Hopeful in tx answered...

This has been so helpful! I have struggled with stress incontinence for years! Recently had blood work and will see an endocrinologist for follow up regarding Hashimoto's tomorrow. Hoping that meds will help in so many areas. Thanks for this help today. I'm encouraged.