Can sweating be a symptoms of heart disease?

Vp5131 asked...

Can sweats be symptomatic of Carotid Artery Disease (CAD) and after bypass surgery? I had sweats a few times just prior to being diagnosed with CAD. I had bypass surgery three weeks ago and continue to have sweats periodically. They don't occur when sleeping and I've gone a few days between episodes.

Carolyn Strimike, N.P. and Margie Latrella, N.P. are cardiac nurse practitioners specializing in the prevention of heart disease and stroke. They have over 40 years of nursing experience in Cardiology between them. The main goal of their work is to counsel, motivate and empower women to adopt healthy lifestyle choices.

First of all we hope you are doing well after your surgery. Many people experience sweating as a symptom of heart disease - cold sweats or hot sweats. You should definitely mention this to your healthcare provider on your next visit expecially since you had experienced sweating prior to you bypass procedure. They may not be related but it is best to have this symptom evaluated to determine the cause.

Dgupton4 answered...

I had the same peoblem after having quadruple by-pass surgery 2 yrs. ago. My sweating was caused by Thyroid problems which was treated with a small pill called Synthrax. I hope yours is a minor treatment as well. I'll be praying for you.