Can Lunesta and melatonin be taken together safely?

Beachtime asked...

Clayton d answered...

Although there are no known side effects to combining these 2 medications, it is recommended that you do not combine any medication without consulting your physician. This is recommended for any medication regimen. A little background on Melatonin is that it is not regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration like Lunestra , so the dosage you are receiving may not be effective in dealing with insomnia. Nor do you know if you are really taking pure Melatonin or something that has been altered. The best solution is take one item or the other and to be truly safe stick with drugs administered by your doctor and monitored by the U.S. FDA.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on t.v., but I was just told by the NP in my doctors office that I can and should take both since I'm a lousy sleeper(and sleep studies for apnea were negative). I will say, I slept worse adding the melatonin to the Lunesta I was already taking.