will lettuce juice help cure lung cancer?

Picucci8 asked...

My wife just developed lung cancer, one small 3cm mass will lettuce juice three times a day, combined with 1000 mg of b17 help to eliminate mass that has not yet spread into organs?

Beth Reardon, M.S., R.D., L.D.N., is Caring.com senior food and nutrition editor and the director of integrative nutrition at Duke Integrative Medicine. As a practitioner of integrative nutrition, Reardon takes a holistic approach to wellness, recognizing that the foundation for optimal health and healing begins with a health-promoting diet. As a practitioner of integrative nutrition, Reardon takes a holistic approach to wellness, recognizing that the foundation for optimal health and healing begins with a health-promoting diet.

I am sorry for your wife's diagnosis and appreciate your wanting to do everything possible to support her treatment. B17, though not technically a vitamin, refers to a group of plant compounds known as nitrilosides. The most common of these is amygdalin "“ from which Laetrile is derived. Despite the lack of data to support its use, Laetrile or B 17, is seen by some as an alternative treatment cancer. It was pulled from the market in the 1970's after it was determined that the health risks were too great, particularly in high risk populations like cancer patients. Interestingly however you can find naturally occurring B17 in some very supportive whole foods, such as alfalfa sprouts, bamboo shoots, blackberries, buckwheat, cashews, cranberries, lentils, millet, garbanzo beans, watercress, walnuts and yams. I am also not aware of any data to support the use of lettuce juice, there is however every reason to increase her intake of all green leaf vegetables such as spinach, kale, collards, watercress, and beet greens. These foods also contain important nutrients that complement a healthy anti-cancer diet. My recommendation is to also focus your limited energies on what you can do to improve your living environment, that being the home and your diet as a whole. I refer to this as "living and eating clean" Specifically this means limiting exposure to environmental toxins, aerosols/ sprays and cleaning fumes. Increase the (organic) plant base of the diet to include foods that have been shown in both human and test tube studies to impact the cancer process and slow the growth of cancer cells in many different types of cancers. These include foods high in antioxidants like green tea, turmeric, fatty fish (canned or wild salmon, sardines, herring etc.) Two wonderful references that I highly recommend are books by Richard Beliveau, PhD and Denis Gringas, Ph,D. titled Foods to Fight Cancer and Cooking with Foods to Fight Cancer. You may also want to consult with an area RD, Nutritionist who specializes in Oncology Nutrition. They will help you to plan supportive meals and navigate the often difficult side effects of treatment. You can find qualified practitioners at the ADA website, www.eatright.org. My best wishes, Beth

Dollvintage answered...

Mom was diagnosed with NSCLC 28 months ago. Besides the nutritional approach, I would suggest you look into Cyberknife (Mom ended up with both 39 radiation treatments and the cyber knife-wish I had known of the cyberknife before she had the regular radiation treatments). The potential drawbacks of the radiation is fibrosis of the lung tissue. All of these seemed much less invasive than the lung removal and chemo which was being prescribed. Best wishes on your successful cancer battle.