Is it possible I can receive financial help so I may be her full time caregiver?

1 answer | Last updated: Nov 15, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

My mother lives with me due to serious illnesses which includes daily monitoring of diabetes/insulin, high blood pressure, possible dementia and other medications that possibly cause inability to care for herself and needs transportation to her doctors appointments. Is it possible I can receive financial help so I may be her full time caregiver?

Expert Answers

It's possible, but it depends her having low income and few assets. There may be a program in your state that provides payment directly to a low-income person who needs regular home care. If your mother qualifies for such payment, she can use it to pay you, or anyone else, to provide care.

This type of direct payment for home care comes from a program often called Cash and Counseling (though there are different names in different states). It is usually run through the state's Medicaid program. If your mother has low enough income and few assets, she might qualify for Medicaid coverage of home care. Normally, Medicaid would provide that kind of care through a certified home care agency. But if your state has one of these special programs, it would pay your mother directly the same amount Medicaid would pay an aide from a home care agency.

To learn more about how these programs work, you can go to the page on this site called How to Get Paid for Being Your Parent's Caregiver. You can help your mother apply for this assistance program, if your state has one, at a local Medicaid office. To find the local Medicaid office near you, contact the Eldercare Locator by phone toll-free at 800-677-1116, or online you can go to any search engine and type in "Medicaid" and the name of your state.