Can a person have two different types of cancer?

Is it possible for a person to have two different types of cancer at once? E.g. a melanoma and then another area such as a kidney?

Andrew Putnam, M.D. is a Palliative Care physician at Smilow Cancer Center at Yale New Haven Hospital and Yale University.

Yes it is possible. Cancer is a general word and cancers of different parts of the body are different. It is very possible for different types of cancer to arise in different parts of the body at different times or even possibly at the same time. Melanoma arises from sun exposure and can develop at any time but usually as one gets older as the effects of the sun's rays continues to accumulate over time. Some types of kidney cancer can occur in children while others are more likely in adults. Any individual can develop 2 or even more cancers over time.

At times a single cancer will spread to different parts of the body and so then a single type of cancer occurs in different parts of the body at the same time. That is referred as "kidney cancer that spread to the bone" or "spread to the liver" and not as liver cancer which would be a different type of cancer.

Bramwell answered...

Yes it is possible to have two different types of cancer. I first had breast cancer, and a few years later, uterine cancer.

D a rod answered...

Yes, I have kidney cancer that spread to my pancreas and I also had colon cancer. Now it looks like I may have kidney cancer in my liver. I did have both at the same time. it really sucked!

Yes it is possible. I was recently diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia and multiple myeloma.

Jscars54 answered...

Well I can answer that question, I have two different cancers right now. Gastric cancer and advanced prostrate cancer both diagnosed in May. As a matter of fact I just got done with 6 months of chemo for the gastric cancer not much they can do with the prostrate cancer because it's in my bones. I get hormones for that. It's all good, I wouldn't change a thing.

Stay Connected With