Can a funeral home check if life insurance policy was paid out without my consent?

Hm12 asked...

Funeral home called to check if I was paid out life insurance policy without my knowledge. I did not assign benefits to them. Was this a violation of my privacy rights?

Rebekah Peoples, CFSP, CPC, Is a licensed funeral director and embalmer. She is passionate about serving others and believes that giving clients honest, accurate information empowers them to create tributes and services that are meaningful and appropriate. Her tips about funerals and life can be found at

It's understandable to be concerned about your privacy rights when a funeral home checks without your consent to see if a policy was paid out.

Although your question doesn't state this, I'm assuming that the call the funeral home made was to the insurance company and not your home. It seems that the only reason they would call is that there is some concern about being paid for goods and services they provided to you. Whether or not you have paid them, you should call the funeral home and ask for the owner or general manager, and explain your concerns about their call to the insurance company and your right to privacy.

If you don't feel satisfied with the outcome of that conversation, you can call the state funeral home licensing board to file a complaint. Without knowing what state you're in, you can find phone numbers for each state's board on this website link.