Can a convicted felon be a guardian of his mother?

Just a few states"”including Arkansas, Florida and Washington"”have laws that put an outright ban on people who have been convicted of felonies from serving as an adult guardian.

About a dozen other state laws require the potential guardian to disclose the prior felony and will then consider whether it is in the best interests to appoint the person despite the conviction.

But in most states, the statutes controlling who can and cannot serve as a guardian make no mention of felony convictions. In these states, too, however, a judge has the discretion to decide whether or not a person would be a good choice as guardian"”and a past felony conviction might weigh in the mix. Information related to this weighing would be what type of felony was involved, how long ago it occurred, how the person has conducted himself or herself since then"”and the quality of his or her relationship with the person for whom the guardianship is sought.

To find out the law controlling in a specific state, do a search of the name of the state and "guardian" and "felon."

Hi I live in Ohio and I really need to be able to take care of my mother as a guardian and payee, because now my sister has P.O.A. and dos nothing good for her I have a felony what is my rights, I take care of my mother all the time now but need some rights.

I have a felony conviction a long time ago and have conducted myself properly and I want to be the legal guardian of my mother. My mother and I get along real well and I was taking care of her and living with her. I live in Washington State and where is my rights to be able to be appointed as guardian.