How serious is a broken rib for a diabetic?
Broken rib on mother with type 2 diabetis. She is 83 years old. How serious is this? What can the complications be?
Broken ribs can occur during an injury, such as a fall, car accident or a sports injury. Ribs that have really broken in two can cause initial damage to a blood vessel or lung, which would cause emergent shortness of breath. However, most broken ribs are just cracked, not really separated in two. So, while it can cause pain, it is not really life threatening.
Broken ribs usually heal in a couple of months. Since they can be painful, especially with deep breaths, laughing or coughing, your mother may need some pain medication for a while. It is important that she continues to take deep breaths a few times every hour so that she can avoid pneumonia, which can happen if you do not fully expand your lungs enough. Good luck!
- Assisted Living in Charleston, SC
- Dementia and Alzheimer's Care in Nashville, TN
- Memory and Alzheimer's Care in Portland, OR
- Assisted Living in Myrtle Beach, SC
- Assisted Living in Aliso Viejo, CA
- Assisted Living in Southern Pines
- Find Memory and Alzheimer's Care Near You
- Find Assisted Living Near You