What can I say to my aunt who just found out she has breast cancer?

Stefnlee asked...

My Aunt just found out she has breast cancer and I have no idea what to say to her. I feel awful.

Tim answered...

In my opinion, there's no right or wrong thing to say, as long as you're respectful, honest, and direct. It depends on the person of course, but I think an important thing to remember is that your aunt is the same person she was before her diagnosis. When something bad has happened to me -- although nothing as difficult as a cancer diagnosis, so I don't speak from authority -- I really appreciate it when folks are honest with me and strike a good balance between not acting like it's the end of the world and not treating me with kid gloves. I guess that's not the most useful answer in the world -- but if you're looking not to put your foot in your mouth, here's a caring.com article called "What NOT to say to Someone with Cancer." Hope that's useful.

Cassie13 answered...

just be there for her i just got done with chemo for breast cancer i had my left breast removed and i can tell you ,you have to tell that your there for her and she needs to have alot of faith and keep telling her self she can bet this i i prayed alot and just kept telling myself i can bet the cancer.don't be surprised if alot of her friends don't come around alot can't handle it but you always have one that will be there for you and believe me we don't want peity with this but we do need to talk to someone at times about the cancer i will pray for her and see if her hospital or dr. has a cancer group to join she is still the same person as before and you need to be there for her.