Is it just because of old age that my grandmother has to get blood transfusions every three months?

Wildcherries asked...

My grandmother has been having to get blood transfusions about every three months. They said it was because of her being old. Is this true?

Dr. Leslie Kernisan is the author of a popular blog and podcast at BetterHealthWhileAging.net. She is also a clinical instructor in the University of California, San Francisco, Division of Geriatrics.

No, needing regular blood transfusions is never a routine treatment for old age.  Although blood transfusions aren't unusual, getting them on a regular basis is rather uncommon.

If you and your grandmother don't understand why she's receiving a blood transfusion every three months, perhaps you or another family member can accompany her on her next doctor's visit to get more information about what's happening with your grandmother's health.