Is it just because of old age that my grandmother has to get blood transfusions every three months?

Wildcherries asked...

My grandmother has been having to get blood transfusions about every three months. They said it was because of her being old. Is this true?

Dr. Leslie Kernisan is a senior medical editor at and a clinical instructor in the University of California, San Francisco, Division of Geriatrics. She also provides housecalls and geriatric consultations in San Francisco.

No, needing regular blood transfusions is never a routine treatment for old age.  Although blood transfusions aren't unusual, getting them on a regular basis is rather uncommon.

If you and your grandmother don't understand why she's receiving a blood transfusion every three months, perhaps you or another family member can accompany her on her next doctor's visit to get more information about what's happening with your grandmother's health.

No Blood transfusions every three months is not because of old age. My father also needs blood transfusions about every 3 to 6 months and the Dr. told me that he is bleeding internally and he would not survive the operation to find out where it is bleeding. I have no idea why your doctor would say something like that, maybe you should seek a different doctor that will be honest with you.