What are symptoms of bladder cancer?

What are symptoms of bladder cancer?

Tammybod answered...

My grandmother had this and the only really noticeable symptom was blood in her urine. Granted that can be a urinary track infection but it didn't go away with antibiotics.  She would call her pcp and he'd give them to her over and over. If you are a smoker/nicotine user especially you need to get checked out more thoroughly.  She had this for a little over a year. She went to the emergency room and they found stage 4 bladder cancer.  Please take this seriously.

My father just passed away from bladder cancer. The only sign he had was blood in his urin. He had no pain at all

Typically, blood in the urine is the first symptom that you will see.  What people need to understand is that smoking is the leading cause of Bladder Cancer and that smokers are much higher risk so .. if you are a smoker and you have blood in your urine or feel that you can't fully empty your bladder please seek medical advice. They will do Cat Scans, ultrasounds and most likely a biopsy. Bladder Cancer can be treated if caught early enough, know your body, know your symptoms.

Munisinggirl19 answered...

My Dad was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer in July 2001 was treated several times with live TB virus and was cured.  He is still cancer free after 7 years.  It is very important to keep getting checked every year.

Mildred answered...

My husband had kidney cancer,only sign was blood in the urine.  They took out his kidney but it spread to his brain.  It was found by him having a stoke,took to VA hospital  and did surgery to remove the cancer on the side of his brain. He is fine now, 12 years cancer free but after affects are bothering him now. He is losing his eye sight on the side where the cancer was removed on his brain. Also,losing hearing too.  Has bad days of headaches,sleeps a lot.   The doctors test him often but so far,they say his is fine. With God's help he will continue to make it. 12 years cancer free is a blessing.

Patti p 99 answered...

There is another answer to blood in the urine for women that is not cancer.  I had blood in my urine every time I went to the doctor, also had pain in the lower abdominal area.  I was treated with antibiotics which did not help.  They thought it was bladder infections.  I saw a urologist finally that did a bladder biopsy but had already decided that I had something called Interstitial Cystitis.  I did research as well as talking with the Dr. and although there is no cure for it, it is treatable.

Mildred answered...

Patti,  Thanks for the information. I do not have blood but I have severe pain in the lower part of my pelvic area.  The urologist has done test and even biopsy on the bladder to make sure I was fine.  Needless to say,he tells me I am fine. I see him every 3 months for a test. Most times,he says I have an infection and gives me antibotics,which breaks me out in blisters and I hurt worse. I tell him but he says that is all he can do for me.  My bladder had to be blown up one time,he said it needed to be stretched out of shape every so often to keep the urine flowing right.  No signs of any thing wrong with my bladder but I still have pain in the lower part of my pelvic area. Hurts when I uranate, I have to hold onto something to keep from screaming. In my books,that is pain and too serious to not do something about???

Where I use to have an overy,They can't find it now,said it must have  disappeared with time. I still have all my female parts,except the one overy being gone. Shocks my primary doctor. Shocks me, I have never had surgery to remove them. I beg my doctor to take out all my female organs but he will not do it.

" I told him to take it all out,get rid of them before something does go wrong but that is like my breast,I beg my doctor to remove them both now. I have had two biopsies and caught the mass,just before it turned into cancer.  He told me that it was on the verge of cancer. SO I was blessed with that one.Guess you can see I do worry about those parts of our body giving  us trouble in the future.  Why wait?? Get them out and no worry?Wierd how the doctors will not take them out before anything bad comes up. WHY WAIT??As I tell him. They hurt so isn't that enough to take them out??  The doctors do not find anything bad wrong with  them. Says it is just my Post Polio and  Arthritis,and all the other things that can go wrong after we pass 60 years old.   In my books,if something is causing severe pain for a long time,it is tiime to do something about it?? AM I wrong. No,I do not want surgery of any kind,takes me too long to recover. Thanks for telling me  that I am not wrong with just blood in the urine being the cause of cancer.  So many other things can go wrong with our bodies. UP to us to stay on top of it.  Blessings to you, Mildred

I was diagnosed with bladder cancer on March 22, 2008.  My only symptom was blood in my urine.  I knew my body well enough to know this was not normal and immediately went to my physician.  He referred my to a urologist and a bladder scan was performed.  Polyps were detected and removed for biopsy. A relatively painless procedure.  The biopsy came back as malignant but non-evasive.  I had caught the cancer before it did any damage to my bladder.  I go back every 3 months for a bladder scan and will continue this for at least 2 years.  I was a smoker which is 100 % responsible for the cancer.  I have been smoke free since 3/22/08.  LISTEN TO YOUR BODY - DON'T GUESS AT WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG.

Amelia answered...

Mildred, I was having severe pains in my bladder area as well, mostly pressure.  I kept telling my friends it felt like I was pregnant all over again with the pressure being so bad.  I become very swollen as well, causing me to look pregnant too.  I found a urologist who did the bladder cystoscopy (stretching of the bladder) and informed me I have IC (Interstitial Cystitis).  My body thinks I have a constant bladder/urinary tract infection but I do not.  They said there is really not much that can be done for this either, except for the csystoscopy occassionally.  He gave me some kind of pills but they do nothing.  He told me it is a life-long disease and I just have to deal with it, basically.  He did say I need to see my gynocologist immediately because he doesn't think I should still have my ovaries and they may be adding to the problems (I am only 30 years old).  My best friend's mother informed me I need to see about having my uterus checked because these are all symptoms of uterin cancer as well.  I am just too afraid to go.  I know this may not be too positive for you but hope it helps to know you aren't alone in the pain.  My best wishes to you...

Agshare answered...

i also had cyctitis till i was 16.they stretched the neck of my bladder 3 times and it went away.if you have an infection,try 1 T vinegar and 1 T honey with 8 oz of water..it will help by killing any bacteria.works for me.

My mother died of bladder cancer. The Dr. asked her if she smoked and she said no. He then asked if her husband did. My dad was a chain cigar smoker. Mom tried to stay in another room all the time because of the smell.  But the smoke penetrated the house. It's important to know second hand smoke can also cause bladder cancer.

Mary d answered...

I to suffer with intersticial cystitis have had endometriosis for many years. I find that watching your diet is very important. Drinking ice tea can trigger a bout with it. Eating certain fruits agrivate it anything with small seeds strawberries, black berries. Research the items that trigger bouts. Very painful disease. Definently try to stay away from drinking ice tea.

Andyh54889 answered...

My PCP detected blood in my urine. However it was not visible to the eye. When she refered me to a Urologist, a Cystoscopy (a Bladder scope test) revealed a small spot in my bladder.  Four days later I had surgery to remove the spot. A biopsy revealed it was cancerous but had not metastasized.  I return to the Urologist every three months for a Cystoscopy and so far have been cancer free for over two years.

Don't wait until you see blood in your urine. It may be too late. Have your PCP make a urine blood check every year during an annual checkup.

Mildred,

Ask your Dr to send you to the Pelvic Pain clinic. I don't know where you live but if you are in Michigan there is one at the University of Michigan.

Amb answered...

My grandmother died of cancer - which started in the bladder - don't know the symptoms - we didn't "talk about it" --- BUT - I hear all of you saying it started with blood in the urine - was it EVERY time you urinated - or sporatic?

Jerry d answered...

As a bladder cancer survivor, blood in the urine is only 1 symptom. Pain upon urination as well as urgency are also symptoms. My bladder was removed and replaced with a section of intestine and it works very well. I have survived for 6 years cancer free even though I was diagnosed as stage 4. I was a former smoker but had not smoked for 20 years before diagnosis. When my symptoms first appeared, I thought probably prostate as I was 60 at the time. DON'T ASSUME, GET IT CHECKED OUT!

condone it and the scrapings were harder on him, and he was very depressed.

His cancer was approaching stage 4 and the last scraping was more of a cutting. The doctor told my mother-in-law that he could not survive any surgery.

In Jan 2008 my husband finally divorced me and my father-in-law became more of a broken man. He could no longer stand the life he was living and waited for death. He stopped going to treatment and was on pain meds only. He started wasting away and finally on March 26, 2009 he passed.

Not only is blood in the urine a symptom, so is an attitude change, anger bouts and depression. These symptoms can be helped with proper treatment. if they are recognized for what they are.

My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 bladder cancer 7 years ago. He had no pain, and was suddenly exhausted all of the time about 4 months before he was diagnosed. He had blood in his urine one month before the diagnosis, then he went for an xray (sorry I can't remember which kind) of his bladder and they discovered a very large tumor. He had no other symptoms. Two months later he had the surgery mentioned by one of the other posts. His bladder was removed and replaced by sections of his small intestine. He now has normal bladder function. His doctors call him a miracle. He is healthy and fine and working strong today. During his hospital stay I read in CURE magazine that often women struggle more with surviving because they are diagnosed later. They think this is because they get caught on the cycle of antibiotics given to them by doctors who think they have a bladder infection and just need to try a differnt antibiotic. I say, if the first one or two don't work ask for an internal exam of the bladder to see what is happening. Don't assume it is an infection.

Lila answered...

I'm not sure what I have but there is a problem that the doctor has not found yet. the problem is that I'm itching in the vaganal area, it is severe to the point that I schretch so bad it bleeds,I have been tested for the stds that you can think of and it all comes out negative,I have been given antibotics they don't help. over the conter stuff works for releif maybe 5 minutes. but the itching is really bad. wakes me up at night, some points I fell like cut it out so the it would stop. I don't know where to go from this point.

Awe2be answered...

Lila......I may have an answer to your question about itching. Do a google search for "Vulvitis" look at the images, is this what you are excperiencing? I had it for quite some time, had all sorts of treatments for things that were not the problem. Actually thought I was going to go mad from the symptoms. What worked within 24 hours was a steroid estrogen cream, a compounded cream. Good luck, hope this was helpful, Hang in there!!!

Awe2be answered...

Lila, Vulvitis....google it. The treatment for me was a compounded estrogen & steroid cream. I thought I was going mad from the symptoms and the treatments I was given that did not work!!

Suitslayer answered...

My dad is 76 and just been told he has bladder cancer the first signs for him was a tight sensation in his crotch area under the testicles he had no blood in his urine and felt no pain urinating.. his biopsy went well and the surgeon told him there is a tumor but its being contained in its own sack and had not attached to any other organs or lining. they never removed the tumor but are keeping a 3 month checkup to see if it breaks out. he had some chemo fluid injected into his bladder to clear it out.the surgeon told us that this is common,and there are lots of people who have lived for years with the same form and growth of cancer and never rarely die of the tumor. They did not want to risk my dad under surgery due to his age and his past history of diabetes and thrombosis. hope this helps someone and all I can say is think Positive always..

My husband had bladder cancer 10 1/2 years ago. A year prior to diagnosis he had a little blood in his urine. It was assumed it was from riding his dirt bike as sometimes the riders insides get roughed up and it went away. A year later he couldn't urinate as blood clots were blocking and the pain was unbearable. At the ER the dr said a little blood looks like a lot and really didn't care until his bloodwork revealed something serious was going on. Within a month he had his bladder removed along with his prostate as they are close together. He also had the beginning of a coincidental prostate cancer. His bladder was replaced internally with a Stouder Pouch created out if his own intestine. He has to sleep with a pad and underpad at night, but other than that he is continent. He just has to use the restroom at intervals. He never had chemo or radiation because in his case it only would have increased his life expectancy by 5 % and do more harm than good. He has been cancer free ever since. Norris Cancer Hospital at USC did the surgery.