I can't chew nuts or seeds, what else would give similar benefits?

Newby1961 asked...

I have false teeth so I can't eat nuts or seeds. What can I take that is natural? Is there something I can mix in a drink or take in a pill form that has the same benefits as eating nuts?

Beth Reardon, M.S., R.D., L.D.N., is Caring.com senior food and nutrition editor and the director of integrative nutrition at Duke Integrative Medicine. As a practitioner of integrative nutrition, Reardon takes a holistic approach to wellness, recognizing that the foundation for optimal health and healing begins with a health-promoting diet. As a practitioner of integrative nutrition, Reardon takes a holistic approach to wellness, recognizing that the foundation for optimal health and healing begins with a health-promoting diet.

Nuts and seeds are an important part of our diet, providing a wide range of nutrients including health fats, vitamin E, selenium and soluble fibers. It would be very difficult to find a supplement to replace this important category of foods, this does not however mean that you can't enjoy them! One of my personal favorite ways to enjoy the benefits of nuts and seeds is through the use of nut butters and "butters" made from seeds. The term "butters" simply refers to how the nut is processed. In this case ground down to a paste. It is the same process that is used to make peanut butter - we just substitute the nut or seed. Amond nut butter is one of my favorites, but you can also find hazelnut, cashew, and sunflower seed (among others) along side the peanut butters in you local grocery store. You can enjoy nut butters on a sandwich or mixed into a smoothie!
Tahini is sesame seed paste that is used to make hummus - another wonderful way to enjoy both chick peas and sesame seeds.
In addition you could consider using some of the nut oils on your salads in place of olive oil. Enjoy!