Are there special housing facilities for Parkinson's patients?

Are there special housing facilities available for elderly Parkinson's patients? What should I look for specifically when looking at housing options?

Donna Quinn Robbins is the author of Moving Mom and Dad and On the Road of Life, Drive Yourself. She helps individuals, families, retirement communities, and corporations make successful transitions through her company, Ultimate Moves. Robbins is an active public speaker on the topic of senior transition services and has appeared on NBC's Today Show.

As far as I know, there are no retirement communities dedicated to Parkinson's specifically, although some may offer special support to those suffering from this illness. My mother had Parkinson's and she lived out her entire life in a retirement community. At the end she hired her own caregiver, but she was able to function.

If the senior you are looking for is in bad shape and unable to care for him or herself, however, then a skilled nursing facility is the proper place for them, or at home with a caregiver.

As always, you want a place that is clean, that has enough staff per residents and does not smell when you walk in. When you look at communities for your parent, do ask what they have to offer for someone who is suffering from Parkinson's and use their answer as a criterion in helping your parent select a new home.

Pdvolunteer answered...

Yes there is! I volunteer in the PD community here in Arizona. There is a new home (beautiful-you have to see it!) opening soon. The website is www.mountainviewmanorgroup.com. They also have a medical director who specialty is PD.