What can I take for arthritis in my toes?

Iain asked...

I am currently in the military and I have 70-80% arthritis in my toes. Is there any medication that I can take that will help the pain and stiffness go away so I can run and lift weights. It seems the older I get the worse my toes get.

Sorry about your painful feet! You can start treating your arthritis with over the counter pain medications like Tylenol or Ibuprofen. Take them as directed on the label, starting them in the morning, and see how that works for you. Don't take more than the label allows, as they can have side effects. If over the counter pills are not strong enough, there are stronger medications you can take, but you will have to see a health care professional to get a prescription for them. Keep in mind that the stronger a pain medication, the more side effects you might see.

If you don't want to take pills, many people use topical creams, like Aspercreme or Ben Gay, which can also help. You could also try soaking your feet in warm water to see if that helps decrease the pain, especially prior to running or working out.

My last thought would be to have you see a podiatrist to see if they have anything else to suggest to help your painful toes. Sometimes, they can give you inserts for your shoes that can decrease the discomfort.

Glm answered...

I see a chiropractor and a Reflexologist to keep my feet in place and flexible. Has done wonders! I couldn't walk at all in July...now I'm back to exercising three times a week. Also have your Uric Acid checked. If it's too high, it aggravates the arthritis. Cherry juice helps reduce Uric Acid and you can get a concentrate at health food stores.

Peterpan56 answered...

You can consider taking an omega 3 fatty acid supplement. The is a considerable amount of research showing that omega 3 can help reduce inflammation associated with arthritis. If you do try it make sure the brand you buy has been purified. It will say this on the label. There is lead, mercury and other toxins showing up in fish that can make you condition worse.

Rusty Editor of http://arthritis-symptom.com/arthritisanswers