Are swollen feet and legs normal after hip surgery?

Pumkin4 asked...

I had surgery on my right hip last week and was just released from hospital on Tuesday. I am now experiencing a swollen right leg, ankle and foot. Is this normal? If so, what can I do to help relieve the swelling?

Jane Andersen, DPM, is a board-certified podiatrist in private practice in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She provides surgical and nonsurgical foot and ankle care to all types of patients, including the geriatric population in her area. With the American Podiatric Medical Association, she has worked to educate the public on foot and ankle health.

You should absolutely contact your orthopedic surgeon. It could be a sign of a blood clot and should be evaluated as soon as possible.

Handiann answered...

Yikes! Call your doctor right could be a blood clot. My mom has a history of them. Swelling, warmth, redness in a leg can all be signs of a clot, which following surgery is not that uncommon. CALL YOUR DOC - clots can be life-threatening!!!!