Is the cost of a nursing home stay tax deductible?

Trvis asked...

Is the cost of a nursing home stay after discharge from the hospital tax deductible?

Steve Weisman hosts the nationally syndicated radio show A Touch of Grey, heard on more than 50 stations, including WABC in New York City and KRLA in Los Angeles. He is a practicing lawyer specializing in estate planning and is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court. He's a public speaker and commentator who has appeared on many radio and television shows throughout the country, and he's the legal editor of Talkers magazine, the preeminent trade publication of talk radio. His latest book is The Truth About Avoiding Scams.

Nursing home expenses are deductible if, as generally is the case, the reason for being in the nursing home is for medical care. In that case, the entire cost of the nursing home including costs for room and board may be tax deductible. For medical expenses to qualify as being tax deductible, they must exceed 7.5% of the person's adjusted gross income.

Ricardo answered...

That is good news. of course. Does that also apply to the cost of home care?

I have the same question as Ricardo. In one answer, I was told the mileage to medical tests/visits was deductible. The non-medical care would not be, as these are home "helpers" and no medical care is provided. I would appreciate an answer, as it seems to be confusing. What if I just don't wish to be in a nursing home? Thank You

Emily m. answered...

Hi Ricardo and anonymous! Great questions, thanks for asking them. If you'd like you can start a new Ask & Answer page on this topic, here: https://www.caring.com/ask.

Take care! Emily | Community Manager