Why is my mother so angry and abusive after her stroke?

My mother had a stroke almost a year ago. She's doing well physically, but she's acting very angry and abusive toward me. Will I ever get my mother back, or is this as good as it's going to get?

If your mother's stroke involved the part of the brain responsible for behavior, you may be in for a rough road ahead. Generally, most of the improvement after a stroke is within the first six months, but improvement can continue for up to two years.

I'd recommend taking your mom to see a psychiatrist with experience in stroke cases before you give up hope. Your mother may be suffering from post-stroke depression or other issues that may be reversible with professional help.