Where can I find financial assistance? I'm out of work and the sole caregiver for my wife who has Alzheimer's.

7 answers | Last updated: Nov 15, 2016
Helpjim asked...

My wife is 54 years old, and I'm 56. She has Alzheimer's and is at the stage where she should not be alone. I 

got laid off last March and my unemployment is about to run out. My house is in foreclosure because I'm three months behind. I 

need financial help - what can I 

do? Where can I 

go? It's just me here to take care of her. Please help!

Expert Answers

It might be possible to get some regular payment to take care of your wife. With your unemployment and few assets, your wife might qualify for a state-run program where you live, which can provide some payment directly to your wife for her to be cared for at home. And this money can go to you if you are the one caring for her. If you and your wife qualify for such a program, the payments aren't a lot -- but they can help.

This payment for home care may come from a program usually run through the state's Medicaid program. It's called Cash and Counseling or something similar (the names may be different in different states). If your wife qualifies for home care under Medicaid, Medicaid would normally provide that care through a certified home care agency. But this special program would pay your wife directly the same amount Medicaid would pay an aide from a home care agency. If she qualified, your wife could pay you to take care of her. She can also use some of the money to make home improvements for safety or comfort, or to buy personal care items.

To learn more about these programs -- not all states have them -- go to the page on this site called How to Get Paid for Being Your Parent's Caregiver. You can help your wife apply for Cash and Counseling or similar state cash assistance program, if your state has one, at a local Medicaid office. To find the local Medicaid office near you, contact the Eldercare Locator by phone toll-free at 800-677-1116, or online you can go to any search engine and type in "Medicaid" and the name of your state.

Community Answers

Durantsdaughter answered...

She should qualify for Social Security disability. Try the ALZ.org website for more info.

Kmf answered...

You could also contact your local Office on Aging for assistance.

Bonniesue58 answered...

To save your house go to www.naca.com-they WILL help you save your house. You will have to complete an online "workshop" and then they go to different cities and they actually in 100 hours straight saved over 10,000 people's homes in Atlanta, GA last fall! They will even write off unpaid priniciple and usually lower your interest rates between 1.5-3%!!! NO JOKE! Best of luck!!

Ge mom answered...

The first question should be whether she has applied for Social Security disability benefits, or for Supplemental Security Income. These are separate programs, but both are administered by the Social Security Administration. See SSA.gov. Both of these programs provide a cash benefit monthly. Definitely, Medicaid should be considered. Is your wife a veteran? If so, look into Veteran's Pension and/or Aid and Attendance benefits. I also agree with all of the suggestions above.

A fellow caregiver answered...

not sure if this applies to your country but here in New Zealand we are assessed by the Health Deptmnt. through the hospital and allocated a free caregiving organisation who are instructed to assist the number of hours per day/week they consider your individual case warrants. This may be enough to enable you to keep caring for your loved one in the home yourself. Say you require showers, toileting on a regular basis and putting to bed. I have 47hrs per week to do just these requirements for my husband with Alzheimers. Good luck!

Bigj67 answered...


sorry good luck