How do we protect my grandfather from scams?

Bluecal822 asked...

My grandfather, who has Moderate Alzheimer's is constantly giving money to fraud "charity" organizations. He has given thousands of dollars to these organizations over the past 3 years, and refuses to acknowledge that he is wasting his money. He continually gives money to organizations that he spend most of his adult life fighting against. He has even given $2000 to people in Jamaica who told him that he won a contest, and had no idea why that was wrong. We have gotten to the point where we go through his mail and papers when we can to get rid of them but I feel horrible when I do this. Do you have any suggestions on how to deal with this problem?

A social worker and geriatric consultant who specializes in dementia care, Joyce Simard is based in Land O' Lakes, Florida, and in Prague. She is a well-known speaker and has written two books, one focusing on end-of-life care and the other, entitled The Magic Tape Recorder, explaining aging, memory loss, and how children can be helpers to their elders.

Your question about charity scams is one that unfortunately we hear often.  The most efficient way to deal with this problem  is to obtain power of attorney of his finances.  Each state has different ways to do this so seek legal counsel so that you protect yourself.  If he will let you pay bills, make sure you give your grandfather some money so that he still feels that he still has some independence.  Do not be surprised if he becomes angry and accuse you of stealing his money.  You could also try to get to the mail, perhaps get a post office box and then discuss each letter asking him for money so that you are still involving him in the decision.  Your grandfathers physician or a trusted person such as a clergy person may be helpful to advise him to allow you to help him with finances